Boston Butt Cooking Guidelines
1. Thaw and remove pork from packaging. With paper towels, pat dry and let the meat come to room temperature.
2. Preheat oven to 300°F. Season pork with salt, pepper and seasonings as you wish.
3. In a roasting pan with sides, place pork, fat cap side up, in the middle of the oven. Pour a shallow layer of liquid — white wine or stock — into the bottom of the pan.
4. Cook for approximately 40 minutes per pound at 300°F. Meat should be tender and fully cooked if using this method. During the cooking process, if the liquid in the bottom of the pan evaporates, add another ½ inch as needed.
5. The desired internal temperature for this cut is roughly 180°F.
6. Rest roast for at least 20 minutes to allow for the redistribution of juices.