Kale Salad with Creamy Garlic & Anchovy Dressing
- Baby Kale
- Red Onion, thinly sliced
- Ricotta Salata, coarsely grated or chopped
- ½ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- Black Pepper, freshly ground
- 2 Anchovies
- Egg yolk
- Lemon, halved
1. In a mortar and pestle, crush the garlic and anchovy fillets with a pinch of salt until it begins to form a paste. Then add to a mixing bowl with egg yolk, mixing until homogeneous. Begin adding olive oil very slowly, a tablespoon at a time, whisking each addition until it is thoroughly mixed and emulsified before adding more. Mix in juice from half the lemon. The dressing should thicken to form a creamy consistency. If it doesn’t thicken perfectly, not to worry, it will still taste delicious!
2. Add the baby kale and red onion to a bowl. Add the juice from the remaining half lemon, a pinch of salt, black pepper, and a tablespoon of olive oil. Use your hand to mix, lightly macerating the leaves. Let sit for 20 minutes.
3. When ready to serve, add anchovy dressing as desired to the kale and onion. Finally, top the salad with the Ricotta Salata and add salt and pepper to taste.
For the best tasting results, start with the best quality ingredients. We recommend meaty imported Italian anchovies.