Wagyu Standing Rib "Cowboy" Bacon Roast Cooking Guidelines
1. Take the roast out of the refrigerator 1 hour prior to cooking to bring it to room temp. Preheat the oven to 475ºF. Season the outside liberally with salt and pepper. Place the roast on a rack and put it in the oven for 20 minutes to allow it to brown evenly.
2. For an extra crispy exterior, you can skip step one and instead use canola oil to sear the cowboy roast on all sides in a cast iron at medium-high heat.
3. Lower the temperature of the oven to 350ºF and cook for about 12 minutes per pound for a medium rare – medium roast. Make sure to check the internal temperature every 15 minutes. All ovens are different so cooking times can vary. Cook the roast to an internal temperature of 130ºF-135ºF, remember it will continue to rise in temperature after coming out of the oven.
4. Rest the roast for at least 20 minutes to allow the juices to redistribute. At this point, the bacon lardons have served their purpose of infusing extra flavor, so you can safely remove them if you like, or leave them in, or serve them on the side. You can’t go wrong!
5. Carve into chops, serve, and enjoy!