Tomahawk Roast Cooking Guidelines
1. Preheat your oven to the hottest setting — typically 475°F. While the oven is preheating, bring the roast to room temperature and season all sides with salt and pepper. If you're making our Roli Roti tomahawk roast, there is a seasoning packet included — feel free to rub the spices all over the roast.
2. With a sharp paring knife, scrape along the exposed bone to remove any connective tissue that may be present. Though not necessary, this extra attention will ensure a more visually stunning product.
3. In a roasting pan with sides and a rack, place your roast in the center of the oven. Let the roast cook at 475°F. After 15 minutes, reduce heat to 300°F and continue cooking. Make sure to baste the roast gently and evenly with pan drippings. Rotate often to achieve even cooking and color.
4. Cook to an internal temperature of 130°F, remembering that the temperature will continue to rise about 15° after the roast leaves the oven, so make sure to check it often using a properly calibrated probe thermometer.
5. Cooking time will vary depending on the size of the roast. Make sure to let your finished roast rest for at least 20 minutes. This will allow for the redistribution of juices.
CUT INTO CHOPS
1. The tomahawk roast can also be cut into chops prior to cooking with a simple slice between the bones.
2. To grill your chops, please refer to our Cooking Instructions for Steak. If roasting, follow same method as above, making sure to check the temperature more often as the pieces are smaller.
3. As with all cooked meats, make sure to let them rest after cooking before serving.