Whether your family calls it ragu, gravy, sauce, or sugo, this rich and complex slow cooked pasta dish is perfect for relaxing on a cozy fall weekend. An old school Neapolitan recipe, with some new school flavor additions from our in-house chef. Shop the kit here.
Each kit comes with a recipe card and almost every ingredient you need sourced from some of our favorite food businesses:
Short Rib Roast, 2-3lb, Pure Akaushi Wagyu, grades three levels above prime and is the perfect braising cut
HLTHPUNK Tomato Paste, 5.3 oz tube, ultra-concentrated organic paste brings bright, acidic, tomato-y goodness to any dish
Andrew's Wildflower Honey, 8 oz jar, thick, dark, delicious honey harvested from a variety of wildflowers and plants is sourced exclusively from hives located in Westchester, NY and Fairfield County, CT
Ploughgate Creamery Cultured Butter, 8 oz of unsalted, tangy, nutty, and rich butter made from fresh Vermont cream — cultured for 24 hours before being churned
Momofuku Soy Sauce, 8 oz of soy steeped with kombu unlocks a world of depth and flavor
Parmigiano Reggiano, 8-10 oz, The King of Italian cheese — aged 24 months to sweet and nutty perfection. Raw milk, produced in Italy and sourced by Saxelby Cheesemongers. Wrap remainder tightly, store in the fridge for up to 90 days
Semolina Artisanal Rigatoni Pasta, One 1 lb box, traditional, slow-dried, full-flavored organic durum semolina pasta made in California
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Single Origin Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 250 ml bottle, Olive Oil Jones, unfiltered early harvest from Sicily
Cook Time: 3.5 hours. Serves: 4 people.
FROM YOUR KIT:
- 2-3lb Wagyu Short Rib
- 2 tbsp Organic Tomato Paste
- 1⁄4 cup Wildflower Honey
- 1⁄4 lb Unsalted Butter, diced
- 1⁄2 cup Soy Sauce
- 1 lb box Semolina Rigatoni Parmigiano Reggiano to garnish Olive Oil
YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic smashed
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1⁄2 medium fennel diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 cup red wine
- Sherry or red wine vinegar to taste
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1⁄2 cup pasta water
- 1⁄2 cup chives (minced finely) to garnish
1. Cut the short ribs into individual bones and season liberally with salt and pepper.
2. Brown in a large stock pot or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Remove and set aside.
3. Sauté onion, carrot, fennel, and garlic until the onion is translucent. Add 2 tbsp tomato paste and cook for 1 min.
4. Deglaze the pot with red wine and cook until wine has reduced by half.
5. Return meat to the pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer.
6. Add bouquet garni (thyme, rosemary, and bay leaf tied in a bundle with twine). Add honey and soy sauce.
7. Cook on simmer for 3 hours or until the short rib is falling off the bone tender and shreds easily with a fork.
8. Season with salt and pepper and sherry or red wine vinegar to taste and set aside.
9. Cook the pasta according to box and reserve a 1⁄2 cup of the pasta water.
10. In large frying pan, bring the pasta water to a boil. Reduce it to a simmer and add the diced butter, whisking until emulsified. 11. Add pasta, chives, and short rib to the pot and toss to combine.
12. Serve with grated parmesan and chives.