A quick and easy meal and one of the most inexpensive ways to enjoy heritage meats!
Over the years, one of the best takes on pasta that we’ve tasted is a pesto with heritage ground meat and Parmigiano Reggiano cheese — a fresh, light, and springy meal, and ours is sourced from our favorite sustainable artisans and purveyors!
Method of Preparation
1. Remove 1lb of ground meat and pesto from the fridge, bringing both to room temp.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil.
3. Meanwhile, place ground meat in the middle of a hot pan over medium heat and break the meat apart allowing it to brown on all sides and cook through.
4. Turn off the heat and carefully drain excess fat from the pan.
5. Stir the pesto to recombine all of its ingredients and add to the pan with the meat.
6. Meanwhile, cook your pasta until al dente, 5-8 minutes, making sure to reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water before draining. Drain and combine your pasta with your meat and pesto mixture in the pan, tossing together with the reserved pasta water.
7. Just before serving, add freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano and a drizzle of olive oil.
Shop the ingredients in our pantry section! (please link them)
- Rigatoni Pasta, traditional, slow-dried, organic Durum Semolina pasta made in California by Semolina Artisanal Pasta.
- Classic Pesto, ready to be served! Gotham Greens is a pioneer in the field of urban agriculture and greenhouse grown herbs and vegetables.
- Ground Meat,100% Heritage raised on pasture by our family of farms. Choose from Wagyu beef, Berkshire or Red Wattle pork, Tunis or Dorset Horn lamb, or Heritage turkey.
- Olive Oil, fruity with hints of tomato with peppery finish — perfect for drizzling over meats, pasta, and salad — barrel bottled by Olive Oil Jones.
- Parmigiano Reggiano, The King of Italian cheese — aged 24 months to sweet and nutty perfection. Raw milk, produced in Italy and sourced by Saxelby Cheesemongers. Wrap remainder tightly, store in the fridge for up to 90 days.