Soup is a tough subject matter for a meat distributor. So I have accumulated 10 soup facts that I find interesting.
1. Carlo Petrini, the founder of SlowFood, told me the best way to judge a restaurant is to try the soup – there is almost no margin of error when it comes to soup. One can’t dupe on the soup.
2. Soup is the best backdrop for our cured shanks, the best cured cut Heritage sells. We only ever sell the cured fore shank as it’s the perfect size for the cure recipe — hind shanks are so large and don’t take in the cure perfectly.
3. Pea Soup is my favorite and the only soup that can be a meal in and of itself for me. (Plus lentil soup in an emergency).
4. Soup ranks last as a desirable dish on the menu to share with acquaintances.
5. Soup is the last stop of the nose-to-tail gastronomic train — bones from heritage breeds make the best stock in the business. Try our Roli Roti beef broth – it takes days to craft!
6. When soup is served the spoon receives top billing at the dinner table finally overcoming the fork and knife for importance.
7. In the movie Ratatouille, the eponymous mouse got his big break making soup at Gusteau’s, the best restaurant in Paris.
8. Soup satisfies the soul, it’s easy, homey, comforting, flexible and nourishing.
9. Soup can change a life – its curative and inspirational… “The dish that changed my life was tom yum kum. You start with a pot of water, add lemongrass, lime leaves, lime juice, coriander, mushrooms, and shrimp; ten minutes later, you have the most incredible, intense soup.” Jean-Georges Vongerichten
10. Soup is where I learned the alphabet.
Founder & President of Heritage Foods
The post 10 Soup Facts That I Find Interesting (by Patrick Martins) appeared first on HERITAGE FOODS USA.